Grüezi!

22:59

Grüezi (pronounced as gry-et-si) means hello in Swiss-German.

Do you know that 74% of Switzerland speak German? Or Swiss German rather as they have their own set of words, pronunciation and grammar which differ from the standard German. I don't know why, but I always had the impression that they speak English. The rest of the population speak French (20%), Italian (4%), Romansch (1%) and other languages (1%). 

Hence, everything is in German. By everything, i really mean EVERYTHING. From the street signs to the labels in the supermarket. I thank God for the 3 different languages (German, French and Italian. Sorry, no English) they usually have on food packagings so that I actually know what I'm buying and what ingredients go inside the food from the little French I know from eons ago. So with zero proficiency in German, we usually resort to staring open-mouthed at someone trying to converse with us in German (okay maybe not open-mouthed, macam tak glam pulak). But most of them do know how to speak English so don't you worry if say, you get lost in their beautiful country. The Swiss people are rather warm and friendly so don't worry, they won't bite. They've got their really good swiss cheese and chocolates to bite into anyway. If the man in the street don't speak English, go to the train ticketing counters or the Tourist info office. They should be able to help you.


Enough introductions. I'm a woman on a mission (Haha okay no, not really). 


I'd like to invite you to follow us on our journey in this beautiful beautiful country and beyond. Insya Allah I'll try my best to include budgets and cost breakdowns so that you might just find this useful in your future adventures. Enjoy!



The customary search-for-free-wifi when you touch down 


Magnificent view of the Alps from above


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts