We found meat!

00:25


Yes, you heard me. We found halal meat!

Actually we didn't go to Zurich with the intention of buying groceries. We were merely looking for a place to perform our prayers and found the Islamic Center on Ausstellungsstrasse 21. The Islamic Center is located on the 4th storey of an unsuspecting apartment on Ausstellungsstrasse. After our prayers, we thought, hey usually halal food can be found near a mosque right? So off we go, in our quest to search for halal food/butcher. We googled for a halal butcher and found one on Josefstrasse 53, so we walked and walked and navigated our way to Josefstrasse. As we approached Josefstrasse, we found an Indian supermarket and afew kebab shops.


And alas we found EGE Supermarket! The supermarket sells halal items from meat to turkish halva. They even bake those huge Turkish breads. I loved how the smell of the freshly baked breads fill my lungs as I enter the supermarket.

Halal produce in Switzerland mainly comes from Germany as it is illegal in Switzerland to bleed out an animal without the use of anaesthesia. On top of that, there's an import quota for halal meat, driving prices northwards. I thought I could survive on just fish and seafood but ohboy was I overjoyed when I found chicken and hot wings! ALL HALAL! The chicken wings were for CHF 10 a kilo but I didn't check how much red meat costs though. Mahal pun mahal la.

How to get there?
From Zurich HB tram stop, take 17 and stop at Museum fur Gestaltung (indicated as the red pin in the map below). From there, walk to Josefstrasse 53

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts